Saturday, September 15, 2007

Strangely appealing and funny


After having finished watching the third season of Battlestar Galactica I followed the recommendation of a friend and watched the first episode of the series Dexter. This series follows our hero Dexter, serial killer extraordinaire. That's right, the hero, or anti-hero if you will, kills people for enjoyment, but in this particular case, the man has a code of conduct, in which he only kills people that have committed heinous crimes and walked. I am not going to start a debate about the ethics of this, because clearly it is something allowed in the American ethos, where the death penalty is applied in many states. In any case, I found the show quite interesting, and disturbingly funny. It is pretty hard to try and describe the key moments in this show without sounding psychopathic, at least to people who have not seen the previous episodes. Having been an outsider of sorts myself, at least towards the rest of most humans, I can understand some of the doubts going on the mind of this character, and his quest of understanding normal people is also very funny. To finish it off, I leave a video of the opening credits, which I think is one of the highlights of the show, the close ups of regular breakfast activities feeling almost dangerous and disturbing.



And a final and disturbing confession, after watching the fourth episode of this series, I felt like cutting meat! And went right to the kitchen help my Kazakh friend prepare tonight's ethnic meal!

No comments: